As surfers, we are fearful of sharks: after all, the last thing you want to witness is a shark attack in your local lineup.
This is why it's best to learn as much as we can about them to not only help prevent a future shark attack, but also undestand and preserve their existence.
This learning can come from shark books.
But which shark books should you read? In this article, we'll break down the best shark books to read today.
The Best Shark Books To Read
1. "The Secret Life of Sharks" by Dr. Peter Klimley
Dr. Klimley, a renowned shark biologist, delves into the intriguing behaviors and habits of various shark species, offering captivating insights into their lives.
2. "Shark Lady: The True Story of How Eugenie Clark Became the Ocean's Most Fearless Scientist" by Jess Keating
This inspiring biography narrates the life of Eugenie Clark, a pioneering marine biologist who defied gender stereotypes to become a leading expert on sharks.
3. "Demon Fish: Travels Through the Hidden World of Sharks" by Juliet Eilperin
Journalist Juliet Eilperin takes readers on a global journey exploring the cultural, economic, and environmental significance of sharks, unraveling their mysteries.
4. "Sharks of the World: A Fully Illustrated Guide" by David A. Ebert, Sarah Fowler, and Marc Dando
This comprehensive guide provides detailed illustrations and information on various shark species, making it a valuable resource for enthusiasts and researchers alike.
5. "The Shark Handbook: The Essential Guide for Understanding the Sharks of the World" by Dr. Greg Skomal
Dr. Skomal offers a comprehensive reference book detailing the biology, ecology, and conservation of different shark species, accompanied by stunning visuals.
6. "The Devil's Teeth: A True Story of Obsession and Survival Among America's Great White Sharks" by Susan Casey
This gripping narrative takes readers to the Farallon Islands, exploring the lives of researchers studying great white sharks and the challenges they face.
7. "Shark Drunk: The Art of Catching a Large Shark from a Tiny Rubber Dinghy in a Big Ocean" by Morten A. Strøksnes
A captivating blend of memoir and natural history, this book follows the author's quest to catch a Greenland shark while exploring the rich folklore surrounding these creatures.
8. "Sharkpedia: The Complete Guide to Everything Shark" by DK
Ideal for young readers and shark enthusiasts, this visually engaging book covers diverse shark species, habitats, and conservation efforts in an accessible format.
9. "The Shark That Walks on Land: And Other Strange but True Tales of Mysterious Sea Creatures" by Michael Bright
Exploring the astonishing abilities and peculiarities of various sea creatures, this book includes fascinating stories about sharks and other marine life.
10. "The Encyclopedia of Sharks" by Steve Parker
A comprehensive encyclopedia detailing the evolution, biology, behavior, and conservation of sharks, accompanied by stunning photographs and illustrations.
These books offer a rich and diverse exploration of sharks, appealing to both enthusiasts and those seeking a deeper understanding of these captivating creatures.
include 10 more shark books
Absolutely, here's an additional list of ten more captivating books about sharks that offer diverse perspectives, scientific insights, and thrilling narratives:
11. "Shark Attacks: Myths, Misunderstandings and Human Fear" by Blake Chapman
Exploring the reality behind shark attacks, Chapman delves into the psychology of fear and examines the myths surrounding these incidents.
12. "Emperors of the Deep: Sharks—The Ocean's Most Mysterious, Most Misunderstood, and Most Important Guardians" by William McKeever
This book sheds light on the crucial role of sharks in marine ecosystems, emphasizing their significance and advocating for their conservation.
13. "Sharks: The Animal Answer Guide" by Gene Helfman and George H. Burgess
A comprehensive Q&A guide that covers various aspects of shark biology, behavior, and conservation, providing informative insights for readers.
14. "Shark (Reaktion Books - Animal)" by Dean Crawford
Exploring the cultural, historical, and biological aspects of sharks, this book delves into their representation in art, literature, and popular culture.
15. "Sharks in the Desert" by John A. Jackson
This book narrates the story of the mysterious and controversial Shark Reef Marine Reserve in the Mojave Desert, exploring its creation and impact.
16. "The Shark Sessions" by William S. Choy
A memoir that intertwines personal experiences with shark encounters, providing an intimate and thrilling perspective on these creatures.
17. "Sharks and People: Exploring Our Relationship with the Most Feared Fish in the Sea" by Thomas P. Peschak
National Geographic photographer Peschak explores the intricate relationship between humans and sharks, addressing conservation challenges and opportunities.
18. "Shark Man: True Stories of Adventure, Devilfish, and Conservation" by Riley Elliott
Dr. Riley Elliott, known as the "Shark Man," shares his captivating experiences studying sharks and advocating for their conservation.
19. "The Shark Handbook: The Essential Guide for Understanding the Sharks of the World" by Dr. Gregory Skomal
Another comprehensive guide by Dr. Skomal that presents in-depth information on shark biology, behavior, and conservation efforts.
20. "Shark Quest: Protecting the Ocean's Top Predators" by Karen Romano Young
This book, geared towards young readers, explores the world of sharks, their habitats, and the efforts to protect these incredible creatures.